<$BlogRSDURL$>

6.17.2004

Partial Retraction

I'd like to spend some more time on something I wrote in haste the other day. On the subject of political speech in churches, I wrote:
While most of the political speech I've heard coming from the pulpit has been, to be generous, mediocre, I'm uncomfortable with the idea of silencing political speech in any forum.
This is hyperbolic, in the vein of "I may disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." Which, of course, really means, "I'm ignoring you."

There are times and places that are appropriate for political speech and others that are not. A standing question which has been answered in different ways over the course of American history is which kind of place a church is. As this book shows, political speech has not always been a stranger to American churches. Both the state and the church are, to some degree, ordered to the communal consideration of how we ought to live. This shared body of concern may obligate a church leader to speak out against political wrong.

That's what I was getting at.

posted by Doug Brown
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?