<$BlogRSDURL$>

3.29.2004

The Long Defeat

John -

Fighting words, those. I mean, I still read Shakepeare despite the Renaissance Fayre types. The sad fact is that other people are allowed to like things that we like, and that most of those people will be, um, disappointing.

I think Rings is a highly "moral" book, by which I mean that in it to be a good guy one must act morally. But if it's meant to be allegory, it's a complete failure. The closest it comes to allegory, really, is in terms of the two world wars. But even that falters in the end. As for a Christian allegory, the idea of Frodo as Christ figure doesn't have much that I can see to recommend it.

Or, as a Christian, am I like the fish who doesn't see the water he's swimming in?

Posted by Doug Brown
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?